Monday, January 04, 2010

Febrile Seizure

The Wednesday before Christmas, December 23rd turned out to be a horrible afternoon for Chip and I. Our daughter had a Febrile Seizure. It's caused by a temperature rising too quickly. Of course, we had no idea what was going on. It last around 5 min. and lucky for us, we just happened to be at her Pediatrician's office when it happened. They were able to give Madison oxygen and bring her fever down. There shouldn't be any long term damage from the seizure and they can't say one way or the other if it will happen again. Most likely, at least I hope, not.

The cause of the fever was yet another ear infection and one tube has fallen out. It's been a great 10 months with the tubes in and I can only hope that our trouble with her ears is coming to an end.

I have to tell you, nothing makes you more grateful for everything in life. When something like this happens to your child, I don't know how to explain it but the whole world just stops. It's like being in the twilight zone. It's horrible. Like you can't breathe. Like you try to keep your mind from going to every possible horrible scenario you can think of. You just never want them to suffer. It was the worst 5 min. of my life and I would give anything and I do mean anything for it to never happen again.

I spent the rest of Christmas and my week of vacation smothering Madison. I let her go to daycare again here and there for a few hours just to get used to today and I have to tell you, even today I'm watching her like a hawk. I have no idea when this fear will pass but I think to understand, you had to see my daughter the way I saw her. I don't think that image will ever leave my mind.

3 comments:

Molli Murray said...

So sorry Sarah :((( I think Julia had a mini one one time on our way back from Dallas...she had a high fever and her eyes rolled back in her head, but it lasted about 2 seconds and it scared me to death. I wasn't even sure if that was what it was. I had to google it when I got home and then I told my Dr I thought she had one and she was like and you didn't go to the ER. I said I was in the middle of nowhere TX and wasn't even sure it was a seizure. I can't even imagine it lasting 5 minutes...it must have seemed like forever. I will tell you, what I read, was that once they have one, they may have more again and my Dr said the same thing. Just be prepared and know that it shouldn't cause any harm

Anonymous said...

Thanks :) That was sweet of you to say :) Our doctor said the same thing - they may be prone to them, and it may never happen again :) All we can do is hope for the best and I really hope it doesn't occur again!!!

D said...

OMG, I just now read your post. I can probably not even come close to imagining how scary and heartbreaking that must have been to see that. Addy sends her prayers for her bff and Jen and I hope that NEVER happens again!